Tuesday, December 4, 2012

On the way to Chrismas-Day 1

This is a project that my mom gave 3 or 4 years ago that I love and that has really helped me get into the Christmas spirit. I did it about 3 years ago and the kids and I loved it but for one reason or another it remained shelved from then until now.
But I pulled it out for us to try again this year.
 So far it has been a nice addition to our festivities. I have combined the activities in the book with a list of activities that I compiled and the combination has made for some fun evenings!
I wanted to make sure that there was a good mixture of fun and serious so some days we do fun projects, and on the others we focus on the savior.
One particularly nice thing is there is an activity a day leading up to Christmas so it keeps us all in the holiday mood.

Day One:
We started off with a Scripture, then a song that was followed by a story. (All part of the book my mother gave me) 
I have also started on a Christmas paper chain that we add too daily. On each slip we write something that we feel is part of the true meaning of Christmas.  It has really helped the children think beyond Santa and presents and focus more on Christ and our Family.

Today the project was making snowmen!

 I think my favorite thing about this activity was watching the kids each choose a different form of decoration. Usually they all tend to copy one another.
Also these snowmen are cowboys. No plain snowmen in our family!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like Texas boys with their snowmen cowboys! Very cute! I love that you are posting your On The Way to Christmas ideas...mind if I steal some? I thought that was such a great gift from mom that year!

    ReplyDelete